Fire Season Restrictions went into effect May 12th within the City of Grants Pass
Fire Season began Wednesday May 12th, at 12:01 a.m. The fire danger level is currently “Low” (green). The adopted City Municipal Code 9.15 Regulated Closure Fire Restrictions will take effect at that time.
Since the beginning of March, Jackson and Josephine Counties have responded to more than 50 fires, totaling more than 100 acres; warm temperatures, windy conditions and a lack of spring rain are among the contributing factors that increased fire starts and growth. Fuels across the region are also much drier than normal, reflecting late June-like conditions in mid-May. For these reasons, fire season is being declared in within the City of Grants Pass as well as Jackson and Josephine counties.
Beginning Wednesday, the following restrictions will take effect:
- Smoking in areas of flammable vegetation is prohibited.
- Open fires are prohibited, including campfires, cooking fires, and warming fires. Still allowed will be natural gas, propane, and charcoal BBQ’s , smokers as well as natural gas and propane ornamental fires.
- Power saw use is permitted all day during low fire danger. Each power saw is required to have one shovel and one fire extinguisher of at least 8-ounce capacity. A Firewatch of at least one hour is required following the use of each saw.
- Cutting, grinding and welding of metal in areas of flammable vegetation is permitted all day during low fire danger.
- The mowing of dried, cured grass is permitted all day during low fire danger.
- Motor vehicles, including motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles, are only allowed on improved roads free of flammable vegetation, except for the culture and harvest of agricultural crops.
- Any other spark-emitting internal combustion engine in areas of flammable vegetation not specifically mentioned is permitted when conducted in a cleared area and a charged garden hose or one 2 ½ pound or larger fire extinguisher is immediately available.
- The City Fire Marshal or an authorized representative may, in writing, approve a modification or waiver of these requirements.
For more information about the City of Grants Pass Fire Season regulations, please call the Fire Prevention Bureau at 541-450-6200
Evacuation and Fire Map
Check the Jackson and Josephine County Wildfire Activity map for fire boundaries and evacuation levels.
Air Quality App
Look for OregonAir in your app store to get easy access to the current Air Quality Index on your phone.