A favorable shift in the weather has prompted Oregon Department of Forestry to decrease the posted fire danger level. Fuels in our region remain dry, however recent rain and cooler temperatures have made it possible to ease some fire prevention regulations.
Effective immediately, the fire danger level has been reduced to “moderate” (blue).
Use of power saws and other spark-emitting internal combustion engines, as well as mowing of dried grass is allowed before 1:00 p.m. and after 8:00 p.m.
Open fires are still prohibited during fire season. This includes campfires, cooking fires, and warming fires. Smoking in areas of flammable vegetation is also still prohibited.
The newly adopted City Municipal Code 9.15 Regulated Closure Fire Restrictions are now in effect within the City of Grants Pass:
The following Grants Pass fire season regulations went into effect July 31, 2020
- Power saws are not allowed to be used at any time in areas of flammable vegetation.
- Equipment used for the cutting, grinding or welding of metal may not be used at any time in areas of flammable vegetation.
- The mowing of dry, cured grass with power equipment may not take place at any time.
- The use of any other spark-emitting equipment using an internal combustion engine is disallowed at any time in areas of flammable vegetation.
The following fire prevention regulations remain in effect
- Open wood fueled fires are prohibited, including campfires, cooking fires, and warming fires, except at locations designated by the Fire Marshal. Wood smokers, charcoal barbecues as well as propane and natural gas fueled ornamental fires are allowed.
- Motor vehicles, including motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles, are only allowed on improved roads free of flammable vegetation, except for the culture and harvest of agricultural crops.
- Smoking is allowed only in an enclosed vehicle, in a boat on the water, or in a cleared area within a campsite.
The City Fire Marshal or an authorized representative may, in writing, approve a modification or waiver of these requirements.
For more information about the City of Grants Pass Fire Season regulations, please call the Fire Prevention Bureau at 541-450-6200
Current Wildfire Information
Get current information about active wildfires in Southern Oregon and beyond, on the Current Wildfire Information page.
Evacuation and Fire Map
Check the Jackson and Josephine County Wildfire Activity map for fire boundaries and evacuation levels.
Air Quality App
Look for OregonAir in your app store to get easy access to the current Air Quality Index on your phone.