Grants Pass Fire Season begins Friday, May 1.
Rainfall amounts in the Rogue Basin are several inches lower than normal, and the extended forecast for fire season conditions calls for continued below-normal precipitation and above-normal temperatures.
Newly adopted City Municipal Code 9.15 Regulated Closure Fire Restrictions will take effect:
- Smoking in areas of flammable vegetation is prohibited.
- Open, wood-fueled fires are prohibited, including campfires, cooking fires, and warming fires, except at locations designated by the Fire Marshal.
- Power saw use is permitted all day during low fire danger (green). Each power saw is required to have one shovel and one fire extinguisher of at least 8-ounce capacity. A fire watch of at least one hour is required following the use of each saw.
- Cutting, grinding and welding of metal in areas of flammable vegetation is permitted all day during low fire danger (green).
- The mowing of dried, cured grass is permitted all day during low fire danger (green).
- Motor vehicles, including motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles, are only allowed on improved roads free of flammable vegetation, except for the culture and harvest of agricultural crops.
- Any other spark-emitting internal combustion engine in areas of flammable vegetation not specifically mentioned is permitted when conducted in a cleared area and a charged garden hose or one, 2.5-pound or larger fire extinguisher is immediately available.
The City Fire Marshal or an authorized representative may approve in writing a modification or waiver of these requirements.
For more information about the City of Grants Pass Fire Season regulations, please call the Fire Prevention Bureau: (541)450-6200.