Grants Pass City Council is Hosting a Strategic Planning Community Forum
TIME: 6 p.m.
DATE: November 14, 2019
PLACE: Council Chambers
101 NW A Street
Strategic planning helps us determine our priorities, get organized, make big decisions, and realize our dreams. The act of merely setting a goal brings about positive change for many people. When setting goals we are creating an exciting challenge for ourselves.
Strategic planning establishes a process for evaluating priorities and prioritizing goals to be accomplished over a given period of time. This is an important part of Council's strategic planning process. The strategic planning process does this by:
- Identifying the most important things for us to accomplish for our community.
- Establishing organizational responsibility and reasonable time frames for achieving them.
- Allocating the resources necessary for programs and projects to implement them.
Setting goals and priorities should drive the budget process, not follow it. This approach allows the City to better focus our organization-wide efforts and resources in ensuring that the most important, highest-priority objectives are accomplished, and that these high-priority objectives are communicated to the public.
Strategic Planning Process
Outreach: Request and gather information from advisory commission and committees, organizations, individuals and staff.
Background and Setting the Framework: This process consists of an update on where are we now regarding the current goals and work plan; commission, committee, organization, citizen and staff reports.
Setting the Goals: This process consists of a review and renewal of the City's vision, values and goals.
Establishing a Work Plan: Develop a work plan in order to:
- Clearly define and scope the work program.
- Ensure that there is a clear understanding of the means used in pursuing the goal.
- Convert the general goal into specific action steps so we can measure progress in achieving the goals.
Financial Plan: Review the work plan and incorporate goals into the Budget. Allocate the resources necessary to implement objectives.
Celebrate our Success: Provide updates to Council, staff and the public on our achievements.
(Please note: a quorum of City Council may be present)