Public Records Request

What is a public record?

A public record is any writing containing information relating to the conduct of the public’s business, prepared, owned, used or retained by a public body regardless of physical form or characteristics.

You have the right to inspect any non-exempt public record, by Oregon law. See the Public Records Access Policy for more details.

See Oregon Revised Statute Chapter sections 192.501 and 192.502 for a complete list of exemptions.

How do I make a public record request?

Open and print the public records request form (PDF). You may also pick it up at City Hall Complete and sign the form. Submit the form in person to the City Recorder:

  • in person
  • by mail (the Administration Office, 101 NW A Street, Grants Pass, OR 97526)
  • by fax at 541-479-0812        

What happens after I make a public records request?

City staff will give you an estimated cost. If it is more than $25, the staff will give you a written statement of the costs. They will not continue until you confirm in writing and prepay. If the actual time and costs are less than estimated, you will receive a refund for the difference.

What is the cost of staff time needed for a public record?

Staff time for public records is billed by the quarter-hour, at a rate of $40 per hour. If this is your first request in the calendar year, then the first hour will not be billed.     

How much does it cost for photocopies of requested records?

Black and white photocopies are $.10 per page, with the first 10 pages free. Color photocopies are $.25 per page, with the first 4 pages free.

How do I request a fee waiver/reduction for public records?

To request a fee reduction, fill out the Request for Fee Waivers or Reduction Form (PDF) and submit it along with your public records request. If the city decides the request benefits the general public, the fee may be waived. These evaluations are case-by-case and are based on the totality of the circumstances.

How do I make a public records request from the Department of Public Safety?

Go to the Police Report Request page for complete details.

Contact Us

  1. Karen Frerk

    Karen Frerk

    City Recorder

    Email Karen Frerk

    101 NW A Street
    Room 205
    Grants Pass, OR 97526

    Ph: 541-450-6000
    Fx: 541-479-0812


    Monday - Friday
    8 a.m. - 5 p.m.

    Staff Directory